What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 25, 00:29:

Yes, the list of "endorsers" is definitely inflated. Blomberg has in fact criticized Licona's book *to some extent*, though not nearly as extensively as I have. I believe Licona listed Robert Stein in that same list. I'm waiting right now for a physical copy of Stein's recent review in JETS of Licona's book, but a preliminary report indicates to me that it contains some criticisms. I'm gathering that inclusion in that list is predicated merely on "did not condemn the book as sweepingly as Lydia did" or som ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Blake Reas on Apr 24, 23:42:

Lydia or anyone who cares to respond, I consistently see Mike refer to people like J.I. Packer, Keener and Blomberg as supporters of his work. I find this to be somewhat perplexing. 1. It is false that Packer swallows Licona's views whole hog. He doesn't, and one can see this at Normal Geisler's website. I am not a big fan of Dr. Geisler but he had a correspondence with Packer. You can read about that here: http://defendinginerrancy.com/the-misuse-of-j-i-packer-to-defend-mike-liconas-denial-of-inerranc ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Blake Reas on Apr 24, 23:24:

Licona and his lackeys have reverted to "tone policing". I am starting to think that maybe Licona is intimidated. I have read all of Lydia's posts, and at best her "tone" is gentle polemics, because she finds his views to be wrong. If Licona takes Lydia's "tone" as overly harsh then he has extremely thin skin, and judging by his weak responses to Bart Ehrman, I think he is overly concerned about tone. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Apr 24, 13:54:

I hope I am not pointing out something that has already been covered, but does 2943 in effect privilege the preservation "same sex marriages"? Let's say a husband and wife seek out marital counseling after the husband got involved with other men. Let's say both want to preserve their marriage and believe him changing his behavior is key. Doesnt 2943 prohibit that marriage counselor from doing anything other than trying to help that man enjoy and perhaps have even more sodomy in his life? On the flip side, ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Apr 24, 13:43:

"Now, I don’t think California is going to sweep through Christian bookstores looking for books by Ryan Anderson or Rosaria Butterfield. That would be too much, even for them (though I would note that the statute would empower such an action.) It’s far more likely that the recommendation or sharing of certain kinds of Christian books and other written materials would be deemed evidence of fraud and would present a core part of the case against a minister or counselor." https://www.nationalreview.com/corner ... [More]

The real Elizabeth Jennings

Comment posted by Beth Impson on Apr 23, 21:15:

I love Gioia and respect his opinion; I'll have to check out this poet for sure. Thanks for posting this, Paul. ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by steve hays on Apr 23, 20:39:

At the very least, Lydia wins by default. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 23, 18:52:

I will not be shocked if eventually people start talking about legal remedies to monogamy, if nothing else, the progressives are moving us towards a culture that views fidelity between a man and woman akin to how a more Christian culture views homosexual expression. At the risk of thread-jacking my own post, what came to mind while reading this was the sad fact that there are Christians who don't really know that there is anything especially good or natural about heterosexual monogamy. They think of it as ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Apr 23, 13:55:

'Wilhelm Reich, call your office. When you apply this mentality to politics you end up with the idea that part of the government's role is to help ensure that everyone who wants it has access to good sex, i.e., sex with whomever they want whenever they want. With apologies to Mencken, Progressivism amounts to the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be sexually unhappy." I do think the logic of progressivism on sex points towards ever greater attacks on monogamy itself. Particularly when that monogam ... [More]

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Apr 23, 13:45:

I recently read a long essay in that bastion of prim and proper Leftism The London Review of Books. The title was "Is There a Right to Sex?" Well-written as almost everything in LRB is, as I worked my way through the intricate ratiocinations, my heart swelled with pity for the poor souls cast into this modern sexual madness. Or I think of that fool Ezra Klein, who defended California's "affirmative consent" law for college campuses (which, as far as I can tell, makes sex with a drunk woman statutory rape si ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Apr 23, 12:53:

Paul, and yet the shockjocks were banking (almost literally) on the sense that my parents do this quite regularly, like yesterday, is something that shocks most people, who don't like to think of their parents in that context. So even while the progressives want everyone to be doing it all the time, their own running dogs are willing to make hay out of people not wanting to KNOW that (certain) people are doing it all the time. Funny dichotomy, that. ... [More]

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Apr 23, 11:14:

With apologies to Mencken, Progressivism amounts to the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be sexually unhappy. Nice, NM. And of course, even some progressives know about the mountain of research and evidence showing that faithful marriages are by far the most reliable context for happy sex lives. Back in my teenage years, I listened to a pair of shockjocks on morning radio in Denver, Colorado. These knuckleheads ran a regular bit, rather off-color but often hilarious, called Parental Poon. The i ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 23, 10:32:

Cameron, I wish it were only a matter of time, but if so, I believe that he would have taken a different rhetorical approach and, in fact, said something more like, "It will be a while before I get around to it." Even Phil. Christi could have set up an exchange for later. On the contrary, his approach and everything he says points to a great deal of dismissiveness and to an intention *not* to think about or possibly even read my work on the subject. Notice that he urges everyone to read his work (as I am) ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Cameron Ferguson on Apr 23, 09:56:

He also said he only had so much mental "bandwidth." He also said in the Ehrman vs Licona written debate on bestschools.com that he had a "learning disability," (1) but he did not disclose what specifically that is (though I know what it is, but do not want to disclose it since it is personal). However, it is not a major one (e.g. mental retardation), but a moderate one as Licona seems to do fine in most of his debates, writings, etc. He just needs grace just like anyone else. He may eventually get around ... [More]

Ken Miller is free!

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 23, 08:23:

Thanks, Thom! I hope we get some kind of update at some point on how Ken is doing and what is next for him. Is he just going back to being employed by the church in Stuarts Draft, or...? Also, it's interesting that I can find no new news on the lawsuit against him, Zodhiates, Liberty Law, et. al. since just over a year ago when the judged allowed Jenkins to add defendants to it. I wonder what's happening there. It's really the next round of ordeals for all of them. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Apr 23, 08:14:

Trying to follow the contorted logic of Al and those like him who urge this kind of law is actually painful to both the mind and heart. You have to grit your teeth and bear the pain, only to find out in the end that no, it really is as illogical as it seemed to begin with. Under the proposed law anyone conflicted over their sexual orientation is free to seek professional help... Nothing in the law prevents a person in therapy from forming his own conclusions... "'Sexual orientation change efforts' ... [More]

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Apr 23, 06:32:

"this amounts to the idea that even trying to abstain from sex is intrinsically harmful. It's like a new taboo. In the old days they told people that self-stimulation would make them blind. Is the new idea that attempting chastity makes you crazy?" Wilhelm Reich, call your office. When you apply this mentality to politics you end up with the idea that part of the government's role is to help ensure that everyone who wants it has access to good sex, i.e., sex with whomever they want whenever they want. Wi ... [More]

Ken Miller is free!

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Apr 22, 22:55:

www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2018/04/two-years-in-prison-for-acting-on-his-religion/ ... [More]

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Apr 22, 18:53:

the risks of attempting to change orientation far outweigh the moral upside of that level of intervention Said the guy who's perfectly okay with amputating functional organs because reasons. And not okay with recommending against reckless sex adventurism because reasons. As with our friend Lydia I would ask you to at least consider that . . . To be clear: Lydia is my friend; you are not. That said, I strongly suspect that, were you my neighbor in the hills west of the great city of Atlanta, I would th ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 18:17:

You seem to be unable to grasp the concept that perhaps your model is gravely flawed. Consider, just for a moment, that even if your theology is right in its view of same sex relationships, the science might, at this time, also be correct and that the risks of attempting to change orientation far outweigh the moral upside of that level of intervention. When one realizes that *behavior* is included in "orientation," this amounts to the idea that even trying to abstain from sex is intrinsically harmful. It' ... [More]

Comment posted by al on Apr 22, 17:59:

Lydia, yes, yes, and yes. Perhaps a good analogy is if a person employs a fitness trainer or a nutritionist and seeks to push his body beyond its natural limits. Diet and exercise can do only so much and a person bent on exceeding those limits would be ill served if the pro he employed provided steroids, etc.. The pro would also be breaking the law. You seem to be unable to grasp the concept that perhaps your model is gravely flawed. Consider, just for a moment, that even if your theology is right in it ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 17:24:

The law is so facially sweeping as regards personal "orientation change efforts" that one doesn't even need to think too much about any kind of hidden intent of the legislature. It's all right out there on the face of it: *All* activities to change orientation (and by the way, we mean *behavior* by orientation, so don't try to wriggle out of it that way, traditionalists) where goods or services are exchanged, are ipso facto fraudulent! It's bald-faced in its attempt to make all attempts at persuasion, where ... [More]

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Apr 22, 16:48:

He's just not doing a very good job. That said, I suppose it is possible that Al truly does have no experience at all with people afflicted by desires and passions (sexual or otherwise) they want relief from. It's possible he's truly that naive and has lived a life wholly innocent of men and women brought to ruin by indulging their urges. I suppose it's also possible that Al has not reflected on the contradictions imposed by recent advances of the sexual vanguard. Maybe he's forgotten that Dianne Feinstei ... [More]

Reprieve for Vincent Lambert

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 16:40:

More information here: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/vincent-lambert-victory (And I'm glad to see this being reported in the American news.) It looks like there are both additional concerns and additional possibilities. Additional concerns are that the hospital will drug Vincent so that he "fails" the evaluations. Additional possibilities arise from the fact that his parents can be present at one of the evaluations and that these are to be carried out at a time of day when he should be more awake. T ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 16:29:

John DePoe, thanks, great points. I think what I find most disheartening about Dr. Licona's approach is the not-very-subtle implicit denial of what you are saying to the effect that I'm not just a hack or a crank and that he should at least think clearly about my ideas. Notice, for example, that his response doesn't say the sort of "Fermat's last theorem" thing: "I have thought through responses to Lydia's criticisms, but they are too long to write in the margin." In other words he does not say that he' ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Callum on Apr 22, 16:26:

Oh man I wish he would eventually have a brief back and forth with you. I really wonder what his reply would be?! Craig Keener is on Johnathon's webinar this Saturday. I think I may have to ask him a few questions on Licoma's work. ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 16:17:

callum: I couldn't say about that for sure. What I can say is this: He seems pretty convinced in his book by various challenges of alleged discrepancies. That is to say, he seems to think that traditional attempts to harmonize are very often wrong. Now, suppose that he believed (as I do) that one needs quite high *individual* reliability for the books in question. Then there might be a concern that this is unachievable, unavailable, because of these many alleged discrepancies, *since* he so often thinks t ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by Callum on Apr 22, 15:47:

Mike Licona has always said he was a doubter. . . . I hope he's not refusing I'm order not to be challenged. Perhaps he may feel it's his position or bust ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 15:34:

Al, did you even *notice* the word "and" in your own quotation? "and (B) do not seek to change sexual orientation."" And did you notice the "sexual orientation neutral" phrase? And did you notice where the law defines "change efforts" incredibly broadly? Any practices that seek to change an individual’s sexual orientation. This includes efforts to change behaviors or gender expressions, or to eliminate or reduce sexual or romantic attractions or feelings toward individuals of the same sex. So *even if* so ... [More]

More on engagement: Begin by reading

Comment posted by John DePoe on Apr 22, 15:31:

Something else that needs to be said is that Lydia is a well-respected scholar who has produced work that would be sufficient for tenure and promotion at a research university (over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and author/co-author of two academic books). Also, Lydia has been involved with publishing critical back-and-forth journal articles with some big names, such as Alvin Plantinga (on epistemology) and Robin Collins (on the design argument). It's not like Lydia is just some crank with a blog. She h ... [More]

Comment posted by al on Apr 22, 15:11:

We thank Lydia for providing us with a case study in how you all on the right are being played. Read the graph from LSN: "April 5, 2018 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In a brazen assault on our most fundamental freedoms, California legislators are considering a bill that would make it illegal for anyone to receive professional help to resolve unwanted same-sex attractions or gender confusion. This would apply to people of all ages. People of all religious and moral convictions. It is an absolute outrage, and it mus ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Apr 22, 15:06:

And how does "you must stay gay" really differ from "you must stay a muslim"? I guess at least that don't kill converts. Otherwise,seems like the same kind of thinking. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 22, 12:43:

This bill has been sagely called the "You Must Stay Gay" bill. I think that's particularly appropriate, as it focuses on what even the "nothing to see here folks" *admit* is the purpose of the law--to ban "orientation change efforts" on the part of therapists. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Apr 22, 12:23:

I would add that it is bizarre that it is California, of all places, which sees fit to bar this "weird" cult notion of morality (the Christian one): California the land of fruits, nuts, and flakes. The land of more weird religions than anywhere. The land of the cults, where Hare Krishnas, Scientology, and Charles Mansons easily could gain followers. The land that spawned or gave home to New Age, spiritualism, "metaphysical religion", and every other made-up-on-the-back-of-an-envelope religious idea. B ... [More]

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Apr 21, 22:05:

Al's fidelity to the strict construction of the statute would almost be admirable were it not so hilariously cynical. The weirder part is why he persists with this stuff. His basic argument here is "I've read the statute and it doesn't do anything." Kind of impressive in its terse incoherence. One of the regular enterprises of the American Left right now (especially Leftists freebasing on sanctimony) is punitive raids against holdout Christians who agree with St. Paul on sexual ethics. These people fantas ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Apr 21, 19:44:

I'm still clear if individual intent matters. Is it not a violation of the to just sell a book that explains why people should not engage in homosexual behavior if you don't personally intend any particular purchaser to change their behavior? In other words, you don't tell them this book can help them change their behavior. I would be that they'd at least start by suing people who did make statements--such as in a conference presentation--that people ought to change their behavior, would be better off for ... [More]

The very voice of a fictional Jesus

Comment posted by Jonathan on Apr 21, 13:09:

Got it. Thank you Tony. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Apr 21, 12:07:

http://blog.independent.org/2018/04/19/california-threatens-free-speech-with-ab-2943/ "Putting aside policy arguments on whether conversion therapy good, bad, etc., it is very likely that this statute will have a much broader application. Under state case law, “the language used in a statute or constitutional provision should be given its ordinary meaning, and ‘[i]f the language is clear and unambiguous there is no need for construction, nor is it necessary to resort to indicia of the intent of the Legisla ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Apr 21, 10:21:

I've been thinking it might be good for prominent Christians, particularly those who have already publically spoken on these issues (like Ryan T Anderson) to organize a conference in California if this law passes. Advertize it and have paid admission open to the public. Heh, I am curious: if one starts a non-profit corporation for the specific purpose of such a conference, and then disbands it after the conference, is it the corporation that is on the hook for the penalties? Might be worth trying. The c ... [More]

The Undeath of Cinema

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Apr 21, 09:31:

Fascinating, and disturbing indeed. As an aside, just last week I watched a film that unbeknownst to me contained one of Mr. Cushing's earliest screen appearances -- the 1940 Laurel & Hardy comedy A Chump at Oxford. Cushing has several scenes as a member of the group of Oxford students that torment L&H upon their arrival and for the rest of the movie. I was a big fan of the Hammer movies in the 60's/70's and thus was pleased to see him in Star Wars when I first watched it upon its initial release. So, y ... [More]