What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Aug 24, 09:16:

Jim, I'm sure I've stated it somewhere back in 2016, but at this point those who are loud supporters are so pushy about any discussion of it that I prefer not to do so in public because it encourages the creation of a rabbit hole or black hole of debate over the matter and does not seem to influence anybody. If I have your personal e-mail and get some time I can perhaps send you something that way. Here I will only say in broad terms that I have *always* argued that there has to be a line concerning charac ... [More]

Review of John H. Walton's The Lost World of Genesis One

Comment posted by Ben on Aug 22, 21:12:

Looks like they removed Vern Poythress' article, and have left mostly, if not entirely Walton supporting articles on Biologos. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 21, 20:20:

But from what he's done so far policy wise, I don't have too many complaints. Agreed. I have fewer complaints than I expected. He has actually done some of the things he said, and not done some things he said he wouldn't do. ... [More]

Comment posted by Jim on Aug 21, 19:38:

The reality is that these considerations MAY be telling reasons not to vote for DT, but are not the sorts of considerations that must necessarily lead to rejecting voting for him for any good thinking Christian: this is the very nature of what we Catholics call "prudential decisions" - i.e. decisions about which there is no definitive answer to which all intelligent and moral men must agree, determinations about which reasonable men may disagree without clear offense to conscience. I found your advice gene ... [More]

JPII Institute on Marriage and the Family: RIP

Comment posted by Bryan Zacharias on Aug 21, 16:29:

Along with your comments above, for which thank you, Tony...are you familiar with Maureen Mullarkey's two articles on Pope Francis's appointee to head the JPII Institute, and the Pontifical Council for Life--Archbishop Paglia? And the mural he commissioned for his cathedral? That is an interesting, arresting, distressing convergence if there ever was one....imho ... [More]

Government by algorithm

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Aug 21, 12:09:

"Everyone agrees (more or less) that the power of a brand new general who is taking over by coup and a gun in your face is not the same as authority." I'm not so sure about that. A lot of left-liberals and progressives seem to have this idea that authority reduces to power, so that "questioning authority" and "speaking truth to power" amount to roughly the same thing. I largely agree with your second point, and should have said "late modernity" rather than just "modernity." It's clear in Del Noce that h ... [More]

Government by algorithm

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 21, 09:50:

Del Noce argues somewhere that in modernity power and authority have become conflated, to the detriment of the latter, because the loss of the belief in objective truth has necessarily resulted in a gaggle of mere rival subjectivisms. I haven't read Del Noce, so I am at a disadvantage here, but while I agree that power and authority have been confused, I think it is in the minds of confused political science majors that it has been conflated through bad theory. Everyone agrees (more or less) that the powe ... [More]

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Aug 21, 09:19:

Tony said Interesting. BR, I agree that Donald Trump debases the Republican Party, because of his character and some of his politics. But he also debased the Democrat Party when he was a member of that, because of his character... Agreed, President Trump's character debases that with which he associates himself, including the Republican Party. But what in his politics, would have been regarded as out of the mainstream of American politics, half a decade ago? I disagree with many of his policy decisions, ... [More]

Government by algorithm

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Aug 21, 07:19:

"The problem is that rule of law has its roots a LOT earlier than the English Revolution and modern liberal democracies." I read Crawford differently here. To me it sounds like he's saying that it's the rule of law's "role" as the core of liberalism that dates from the English Revolution, not the rule of law per se. "What I object to more is his liberal assumption that it is the giving an account that transforms a dictate of a judge from an exercise of power into an exercise of authority." Again, I read ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 21, 01:27:

Another debasing of conservatism and the Party by Donald Trump. Interesting. BR, I agree that Donald Trump debases the Republican Party, because of his character and some of his politics. But he also debased the Democrat Party when he was a member of that, because of his character, so he seems to be an equal-opportunity debaser. It is silly to refer to him as debasing conservatism, because only the far left, viewing rightwards with the Hubble Telescope used wrong-ways around, can't tell the difference ... [More]

Government by algorithm

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 21, 00:47:

Crawford makes some fantastic observations about the current state of affairs, and it well behooves us to realize the extent of the problem: I mean “authori­ty” in the broadest sense, including our interactions with outsized commercial entities that play a quasi-governmental role in our lives. Anyone on FB who ignores the authority of FB's rules finds out the hard way. And his reference to the difficulty of an ordinary joe to put his life back together again after one of the 3 credit rating agencies ... [More]

Comment posted by BR on Aug 20, 21:28:

TUAD, it’s sad that “LIBERAL!” now passes as an argument in conservative circles. Another debasing of conservatism and the Party by Donald Trump. But I guess now that someone who voted for Bush, McCain, Romney, and McMullen counts as a liberal in your eyes, it’s not surprising that there are no rules anymore. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 20, 21:07:

"...whose sole re-election strategy is to stir up racial resentment among white people”. Oh, hell no: he was perfectly happy stirring up resentment among blacks against illegal immigrant Hispanics as well. I don't know what you're smoking, but it's got in your eyes. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 20, 21:00:

I would prefer to express it as discerning of what God's will is regarding how He wants us to exercise our right to vote. Is there an objective criteria that we should use, when confronted with a choice between several evil candidates? There can indeed be "objective criteria" without there being clear and easy to apply methods and algorithms that straightforwardly and definitively determine who to vote for when several candidates are not very good options. The problem with voting for a candidate (as o ... [More]

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Aug 20, 11:17:

Merit based immigration would, probably, disproportionately favor Korean and south Asian visa applicants. ... [More]

Government by algorithm

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Aug 20, 07:36:

"It was early innovations that allowed the platform firms to take up their positions. But it is this positioning, and control of the data it allows them to gather, that accounts for the unprecedented rents they are able to collect. If those profits measure anything at all, it is the reach of a metastasizing grid of surveillance and social control." Shoshana Zuboff chronicles this at length and in great detail in her The Age of Surveillance Capitalism. "It seems to me that this is why, in litigating conte ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on Aug 20, 07:33:

Okay, replace “white nationalist” with “guy who wants people of color to leave the country and white people to stay and doesn’t want to allow any people of color to immigrate but does want white people to immigrate and refuses to condemn self-confessed Nazis and whose sole re-election strategy is to stir up racial resentment among white people”. LOL, seriously? If so, Leftist brainwashing has seriously made inroads into the church. Lenin once said something about "Useful ..iots." ... [More]

Comment posted by BR on Aug 19, 18:36:

Comment posted by Jim on Aug 19, 17:28:

For the record, I would not call D.T. a "white nationalist." That claim is not why I will not vote for the guy. I figured that one was quite a stretch myself. Just curious though Lydia, have you mention somewhere in a sort of nutshell way the main reasons for your position? Like I said I don't so much fall on either side of whether or not to support DT so I'm always curious to hear what others have to say. I've read some of your posts, but I may have missed some. However, I don't, as of yet, seem to ha ... [More]

Government by algorithm

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Aug 19, 13:32:

It seems to me that this is why, in litigating contexts, whatever benefits (protections against lawsuit, enshrined in positive law) have been granted to an organization *on the grounds that* it is acting merely as a content-neutral platform should be able to be *withdrawn* if the organization does not fulfill that role anymore and becomes a publisher de facto. Obviously whether or not a given protection applies to *you* (Google, Facebook) depends on the facts on the ground. That way of telling Facebook, Goo ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Aug 19, 13:27:

Comment posted by Jim on Aug 18, 23:28:

Is there an objective criteria that we should use, when confronted with a choice between several evil candidates? "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9 Seems that would include our own hearts, as well as those who are running for office. So again, I go back to what I believe is the correct approach. That each one of us individually as Christians needs to seek for God's wisdom and guidance as to if and how He wants us to exercise our right to tak ... [More]

Comment posted by BR on Aug 18, 22:36:

Thanks for this, Lydia. There are times I despair and consider ceasing to call myself an evangelical Christian because of my people's enthusiastic support for a white nationalist who has been credibly accused of sexual assault by 16 women. But then I run across another fiercely intelligent staunchly conservative Never Trump Christian, and it makes me hope that the soul of the American Christian church can still be saved. So I remain, and preach the Gospel. The Gospel that says that all people are made in th ... [More]

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Aug 18, 21:27:

Comment posted by Jim on Aug 18, 19:31:

God providentially put judges, including Samson, in Israel to lead his people. I have no doubt that God has providentially put President Trump in office to administer justice on behalf of His people. On that we agree. In a nation, where Christians can participate in the selection of their civic leaders, is it the duty of Christians to discern who is the lesser of two evils? Now I don't necessarily agree that it's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. I would prefer to express it as discerning of ... [More]

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Aug 18, 19:03:

Now maybe Trump's flaws are such as would not allow a Christian to vote for him. But I sometimes wonder if Samson of the Bible were one of the candidates would there be a 'never Samson' camp? God providentially put judges, including Samson, in Israel to lead his people. I have no doubt that God has providentially put President Trump in office to administer justice on behalf of His people. In a nation, where Christians can participate in the selection of their civic leaders, is it the duty of Christian ... [More]

Comment posted by Jim on Aug 18, 15:49:

Thomas, I myself am not adamant in either direction when it comes to Trump. But maybe lesser of two evils would be better expressed as lesser of the two in character flaws? And just because someone has character flaws, should that disqualify our voting for him? I think it's fair to say that all past presidents had their flaws, some maybe more hidden than others. Now maybe Trump's flaws are such as would not allow for a Christian to vote for him. But I sometimes wonder if Samson of the Bible were one of ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites ... and Divides on Aug 18, 15:04:

"Some would call me a hopeless purist, but should those who are dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, vote for the lesser of two evils?" The greatest social evil, political evil, and moral evil being actively waged today in America is the premeditated murder for hire of unborn babies. Trump is making better inroads against this evil than any other president. ... [More]

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Aug 17, 22:28:

I did not vote for President Trump. I did not dislike Donald Trump as much as I disliked George Bush the Lesser, John McCain, and Mitt Romney. But I still thought, and continue to think, a vote for candidate Trump, would be a vote for the lesser of two evils; and therefore a vote for evil. His performance as President has far exceeded my, admittedly low, expectations. Some would call me a hopeless purist, but should those who are dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, vote for the le ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on Aug 17, 19:34:

Tony, I had dread and despair if Hillary was elected. Of course, Christians are not supposed to have dread and despair when we worship a Sovereign God, but you know what I mean. "Put not your trust in princes" and all that cliche stuff. I had relatively low expectations of Trump's presidency. He has FAR exceeded them. He has made the right enemies. The Leftist Lib Shrieking Harpies are continuously hating. The glorious disinfectant of Trump's Orange Light has exposed these duplicitous liberal hyenas ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 17, 17:55:

TUAD, I too have been surprised by how not-badly Trump's presidency has been. I expected more mess and less substance than he has done so far. I also did not expect him to "settle down" noticeably after the first year's bumpy roller-coaster of mishaps and mishandlings, but he seems to have, at least somewhat. I am also not planning on counting the chickens before they hatch: he has year and half to go, and a whole re-election campaign to throw at us. While he sometimes manages to put both feet in his mo ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on Aug 17, 13:57:

Lol, I remember 2016 primary and election season well. I believed the Dems and Hillary and the complicit Leftist Media had *colluded* to nominate the one candidate who was practically guaranteed to lose against Hillary. I was very, very disgusted and disappointed, amplified by the utter gutlessness of John Boehner and Senator Mitchell, and the Roberts' Court. I switched to "No Party Affiliation" after the GOP primary in Indiana. I was against Trump being nominated as the GOP candidate. I thought it was ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Aug 16, 16:54:

I just meant "not retaining a fig leaf for stare decisis as it pertains specifically to Roe." ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 16, 16:27:

I cannot forbear saying that this *would* be repealing Roe holus bolus and that it would not even retain a fig leaf of plausibility for stare decisis. It was *intrinsic* to Roe that states *could not* take the life of the child into account in the second trimester. Later decisions only modified that to take it back perhaps as far as the 20th week of gestation. But the whole idea that one is somehow retaining Roe (and Casey and other decisions that enshrined Roe's "constitutional right to abortion") if the S ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Aug 16, 12:34:

with some fig-leaf of plausibility, that they've preserved stare decisis - perhaps they'll continue to uphold legalized abortion in the first trimester while allowing states to ban it thereafter in all cases except where the mother's life is in danger or the unborn baby is bound to die but liable to injure the mother while the pregnancy continues. As a con-law geek I cannot forbear saying that this *would* be repealing Roe holus bolus and that it would not even retain a fig leaf of plausibility for stare ... [More]

Comment posted by Vincent Torley on Aug 16, 11:27:

Hi Lydia, For me, personally, the over-riding issue is human life. We have one party whose leader has successfully nominated two pro-life conservatives to the Supreme Court, and another party which believes that a woman's right to choose takes precedence over the interests of the unborn child right up until the moment of birth, and whose leaders refused 75 times to even bring the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act to the floor of the House of Representatives for debate and a vote. Meanwhile, appr ... [More]

Comment posted by Beth on Aug 16, 10:03:

Thank you for this post, Lydia. As a conservative Republican who won't vote for Trump, it's wearisome to be accused from both sides of all kinds of foolishness, stupidity, and even evil. I most appreciate your last part, though. However important politics has become (and I certainly agree we can't just ignore it), living the rest of life is at least equally important. I might say more so, because remembering to simply live and love in our families and communities, to pursue truth, beauty, and goodness ... [More]

Social sadism

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Aug 15, 09:19:

Right, Tony, and also there's a difference between, "People in general have mistreated people perceived as 'gay'" and "The church, specifically, has done so." It's the latter that we often hear even very conservative people say as though it's a true-ism. It is just not clear to me that that's true. ... [More]

Social sadism

Comment posted by Rachael on Aug 14, 15:12:

As someone who lives in Silicon Valley, I can tell you that the bullying has gotten really bad. In fact, high schoolers will sometimes pretend to be some stripe of sexual deviant because it gives them victim status and therefore power. Once you declare yourself gay, you can treat people horribly and then cry about how oppressed you are when you get called out on it. ... [More]

Social sadism

Comment posted by Tony on Aug 14, 10:17:

Be willing even to say, "Actually, I'm not at all sure that I agree that 'we Christians' have been so unkind to homosexuals in the past and need to repent of it. Given the enormous human capacity for mistreatment of others, and given my clear memory of classmates mistreating boys who had the misfortune of merely being on the low side of the normal distribution of visible masculinity without their exhibiting any overt signs of suffering from same sex attraction (SSA), I am sure that people have also mist ... [More]