What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Comment posted by GRA on Feb 25, 01:12:

@ DR84 & Tony: I just got done reading the assigned chapter in my clinical interviewing text (for my MSW program). For examples, the author tends to single out social workers who are male and/or Christian, using them to show either incompetence or discriminatory actions. One example showed a male, though filled with good intentions, being culturally incompetent when greeting a young Pakistani woman (handshakes are seen as rude based on religion). In couple of others he used Christians. The first to show ... [More]

Hidden in Plain View: Book update

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 24, 20:17:

Heh, nope. That jigsaw puzzle exists only in cyberspace, where it was created by a collaboration among a graphic designer, me, and the publishers. ... [More]

Moral absolutes and apostasy

Comment posted by Sean K. on Feb 24, 20:07:

I think that this is one reason vows were public affairs in OT times - a fact that puts Jephaph's daughter's coming out of his house in a new light to most (she wanted the person "sacrificed," not literally of course, to be her). That way people would know, okay, if you don't do this thing which is otherwise fine, you've acted wrongly (or, perhaps if it was already bad, you've actedly worse yet). The only thing I can think about that denial of God thing in my example above is that God has a right to view t ... [More]

Hidden in Plain View: Book update

Comment posted by Sean K. on Feb 24, 19:44:

Cool. Having read some of what you've written on undersigned coincidences on this blog and elsewhere, and admittedly only a little of the older literature on the subject, I'm looking forward to reading that. A question, though, does it also come with the jigsaw puzzle that is pictured on the cover? ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 24, 18:39:

Huh, I never hear of any being converted now. I maybe need to get out more. ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 24, 17:59:

• 84 percent of operating charter schools are start-up schools and 16% are conversion schools. • Of the first 100 charter schools (through 1995), 40 were conversion schools. The Ins and Outs of Converting a Public School Into a Charter Public School http://www.mymcharterlaw.com/pdf/The_Ins_and_Outs_of_Converting_a_Public_School_to_a_Charter_(PCM%20and%20LAC).pdf I agree about not starting a school as a charter school. ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 24, 17:07:

I see it as at least plausible that making what was until recently an ordinary public school into a charter school Subject to correction, my strong impression is that charter schools are always started anew, not started by turning a former ordinary public school into a charter school. Sometimes a college will start one up. I believe Hillsdale has a "franchise" group of charter schools in, of all places, Phoenix. Their existence, I agree, is for people who are determined to (or can only afford to) send the ... [More]

Moral absolutes and apostasy

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 24, 13:41:

Sean, There are all sorts of snake-eating-tail difficulties with subjectively ascertained guilt for actions that are partly bad but not all bad, especially from interior conditions rather than exterior ones. It is probably not possible to sort out all of them. However, it is possible to say some generic things. (1) A person's honest (invincible) judgment of conscience that "this act is immoral" - even though it is simply in error - binds him in conscience: if he does it, he is guilty of defying the jud ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 23, 23:10:

Here's to hoping he gets some success. I tend to doubt it, but stranger things have happened. There's no doubt that the LTXKNVQs are creating hostile work environments - that's their objective. They want everyone scared to death of saying anything that MIGHT be taken as offending them. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Feb 23, 11:38:

Have you heard about Gary Suttles discrimination lawsuit? He is suing for hostile workplace for being required to watch a pro LGBT video. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/21/after-refusing-to-watch-lgbt-diversity-video-social-security-judge-sues-to-avoid-being-fired/ ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Feb 23, 11:26:

Amen! ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 22, 21:57:

There is much to what you say. In the corrosive environment of today, it is very problematic to start down that road. My own experience is somewhat more muted than yours, though. I have kids in 2 different Catholic colleges, Thomas Aquinas College and Christendom College. Now, Catholic colleges and universities have for the most part covered themselves in ignominy in this regard, having long ago bought into the mindless liberal claptrap. However, almost universally, they did it WITHOUT the kind of p ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 22, 21:35:

I would add that the corrective to a lot of this stuff is within the realm of Christian businessmen themselves. They need to be reassured that "How much is enough?" is a perfectly reasonable question to ask when it comes to income, profits, etc. Yes, I would say the same. And it fits perfectly with my final comment: that not nearly enough is done to promote good behavior instead of demanding it. It would be nice to see government cooperate with leagues of Christian businessmen to foster and encourage su ... [More]

RIP, Lieutenant General Hal Moore

Comment posted by Neil on Feb 22, 16:13:

Nice write up. I was aware of the the background to the movie but I'm going to have a second go round with the flick and read the book down the road. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Feb 21, 23:38:

"This raises the following macabre thought experiment: If prostitution is legalized in a venue that has specially protected status for "sexual orientation," can a prostitute be fined for refusing to have sex with would-be clients of the same sex? Makes your head spin, doesn't it?" In many states it already is the case that a wedding photographer who refused to take photos of two men or two women romantically kissing each other will face fines, and based on the type of cases that have been decided so far pr ... [More]

Moral absolutes and apostasy

Comment posted by Sean K. on Feb 21, 20:55:

Fine, but surely there are all sorts of other ways to change baby Hitler's outcome than just KILLING him. I've always thought that when I hear people talking about the baby-Hitler scenario. One of the reasons I was interested in whether one can make a private denial of God or not concerns the distinction between internal and external denials of God. Presumably Peter didn't deny Jesus internally, though, Judas did, in addition to his external betrayal. Would the man in my example be denying God internal ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 21, 19:14:

But if we can improve things somewhat, I am willing to live with interim measures until we rediscover the beauty of having families and neighborhoods and towns in control of their own schools. I agree with your emphasis upon the direction things are going. Sometimes x is better than where we are. However, in the case of vouchers, I'll be frank: I believe they would be *going* in the wrong direction. Here's why: A voucher would be offered to a Christian school that was not previously accepting any state/fe ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 21, 19:03:

I believe that it would not do so, and therefore I am opposed to vouchers for practical reasons--the state control just isn't worth it. Ultimately, I don't want to see state control of education. Period. But if we can improve things somewhat, I am willing to live with interim measures until we rediscover the beauty of having families and neighborhoods and towns in control of their own schools. I admit the problem with vouchers being still subject to state control: in practice (at least at the moment) ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 21, 16:11:

But a court would never hypothesize that this might happen and allow him to sue the clinic before it did. That would be purely speculative. Sure, but the clinic's lawyers should (if they're smart) be thinking about all of those types of possible scenarios, since there *are* cases on record of custody disputes over embryos, and that could easily happen and create a lawsuit to a client (the clinic). And therefore saying, "Look, you need to put this in the language that they sign that they understand they wil ... [More]

Comment posted by Titus on Feb 21, 14:07:

Actually, I'm pretty certain he does. Cryo-preserving them all this time presumably isn't free, and I would assume it would be his expense or his and his wife's, as they had a choice what to do with them. Unless that was covered by the original IVF fee. I was, to be entirely frank, assuming that they weren't charging him something extra. Sure, if they said "surprise, here are extra embryos, now pay," that would be different. Although since he wasn't legally obligated to pay to have them preserved, it's sti ... [More]

Throwing Out the Baby to Keep the Bathwater

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 21, 11:26:

There's no question that charter schools will be neutered in precisely the ways that these guys want them to be. *Muslim* charter schools have sometimes tried to fly under the radar but have been caught, not that I really am overly thrilled about Muslim parochial schools teaching Koran and sharia being paid for by my tax dollars. But in general, you can't have a really distinctively Christian charter school. Charter schools are public schools, period. I often remind parents of this. Their main advantages ar ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Feb 21, 11:19:

I agree with most if not all of what you say here. I would add that the corrective to a lot of this stuff is within the realm of Christian businessmen themselves. They need to be reassured that "How much is enough?" is a perfectly reasonable question to ask when it comes to income, profits, etc. Likewise, the Christian voices on the right should make it clear that it is no blow against economic liberty to raise such questions, especially when older and wiser voices than our own were quite unanimous in the ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Feb 21, 02:23:

It is quite something how one sided the court ruled in the Barronelle case. They threw out the act/orientation distinction by saying "same sex marriage" is fundamental to a homosexual orientation. Yet they had no problems affirming an act/belief distinction. So Barronelle is free to believe but not free to act on what she believes. I get this is not the first time a court has come to these conclusions, but it never gets any less bizarre. Even disregarding the Constitution explicitly mentions religion an ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 20, 16:51:

I don't mean "forced" in the legal sense, but by pressure from outside: in a PR sense, for example. I don't know if Trump could make a "you should recuse yourself" claim stick, but at least it couldn't be hidden by the media. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 20, 14:20:

Or are forced to recuse themselves on edgy cases? They can't be forced. What's-her-name (was it Sotomayer?) should have recused herself on Obergefell after officiating at a homosexual "wedding," but she didn't. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 20, 13:13:

Matthew, that's horrible! Who could have imagined such a thing? The outrage to decency this manifests is shocking: any half-way moral community would rise up en masse against an official trying to pull this. That's the sort of thing that used to lead to tar and feathering. I would think the LGBT activists will be thrilled if the court takes this case. That alone would indicate the court is ready for another landmark "gay rights" case. Making sexual orientation a protected status federally is the next ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 20, 13:01:

More to Titus's comment above about the extra embryos: I'm really, really betting that, "We may create up to x extra embryos" was somewhere in the diamond-point print, not that the lab was brazenly just not informing the people in any sense of "inform." Even if one doesn't have a pro-life view of the nature of the embryo, there are about five different things one can do with extra embryos: Destroy them, donate them to science, freeze them indefinitely, keep implanting them oneself, or donate them to someon ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 20, 12:57:

Yeah, that was some years ago. It was a real case, though we never heard the end of it. I'm going to guess that the unemployment board backed down rather than actually cutting her benefits. But in Germany, who knows? I grant the similarity with my hypothetical case. If we treat prostitution as like any other job or service, then why wouldn't all the usual laws apply? ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 20, 11:46:

It seems to me that the pre-modern commentary on usury would be useful here, as the principles therein could perhaps be extrapolated to profit-seeking in general. In a way I agree, and in a way not. That is, I see the sense of this, generically, but I am not confident it actually works well specifically for the usury problem. If you look at all of the ancient texts on usury and interest-taking, some of them seemed to condemn taking interest of ANY amount or kind, but there are lot of them that seem to be ... [More]

Comment posted by Matthew on Feb 20, 10:59:

On your point about prostitution: I recently saw an article online (sorry I could not find the link)about an unemployed woman in Germany. Since prostitution is legal and she was being offered a job at a brothel she face the choice of either becoming a prostitute or having her unemployment benefits cut because she refused a legitimate job that she could do. Just WOW! ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Feb 20, 08:23:

"it did not take 17th and 18th century thinkers to come up with such a pursuit, men of avarice have done so since men were subject to original sin. You may be right that it had not been successfully disguised under a bland name to avoid censure until the 18th century." Yes, that, and along with the lack of disguise the general societal consensus that sheer wealth-seeking was a "low" pursuit if not downright immoral. I largely agree with what you say about the semantics of the issue. It's important in thes ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 19, 23:09:

Adjustments were made in the late middle ages, which accompanied the rise of commerce, but these still assumed that avarice was a vice and that wealth-getting qua wealth-getting was inherently morally problematic. If you mean "wealth-getting as an end in itself", then yes, I agree that it was inherently morally prblematic. Of course it did not take 17th and 18th century thinkers to come up with such a pursuit, men of avarice have done so since men were subject to original sin. You may be right that it h ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Feb 19, 21:50:

Yes, I finally got a chance to read through the decision. The court does affirm a First Amendment right for religious groups to be free of anti discrimination law that could change force a change in the speech or ideology of the group. Which is good. It also references Bob Jones. Which was all about using anti discrimination law to change speech and ideology of a religious organization. Don't know what to make of that. So perhaps if nothing else, whatever precedents protected Christian schools from g ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 19, 17:54:

What can happen if the Supreme Court effectively rubber stamps the Washington State Supreme Court's decision? At a minimum, all the other cases in this vein that the ADF is defending will go south. Hopeless. States will be allowed to do their worst *at least* to for-profit businesses--the florists, bakers, photographers, etc., etc. A further possibility is that the 14th amendment will be interpreted to mean that homosexuality is automatically a protected class for all government action--e.g., all federal ... [More]

Taking Another Bite At The Alt-Right

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on Feb 19, 15:31:

"The root principle of capitalism is that the provider of capital is due a portion of the profits. This root concept does not require that enlightened self-interest concept as an addendum." That is true, but isn't that "root principle" too small to be described as an "ism"? The term has, almost since its origination, meant more than that, and as of today it has acquired so much baggage, both positive and negative, that almost no one who uses it means simply that. Even so, that is why I often refer to "i ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Feb 19, 15:14:

From, The Age of Belief, Anne Fremantle, 1955 edition, pg. 104: St. Bernard distinguishes between three aspects of freedom: freedom from sin, freedom from misery, and freedom from necessity. The first two cannot be complete, here, they will exist fully only in patria, in the fatherland of heaven. But from fate, or necessity, the Christian must believe that every human being is free here and now. The fourth Christian freedom, from the state if it command evil, was asserted confidently by all the Church' ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Feb 19, 09:37:

I share those concerns and also understand that there is good in just fighting tooth and nail for what is right. Hard to imagine Kennedy throwing his "gay rights" legacy away in order to side with Barronelle if they did take her case. If this case helps set a precedent that Barronelle's conduct is classified as invidious discrimination against a protected class in which there is a compelling state interest to eradicate, how much leeway do private/non-profit organizations have to invidiously discriminate a ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Feb 18, 23:00:

DR84, it almost seems to me like we stand to lose more by an appeal to the Supreme Court. The court makeup is double-plus ungood on this issue, even if Gorsuch were both rock-solid and were confirmed (on both of which I have some doubts--various homosexuals coming around now talking about how "supportive" he is of their "marriages," though if he's *really* an originalist maybe it will be irrelevant...?). But really, just think if Scalia himself were still on the court and this case were appealed. What damag ... [More]

Moral absolutes and apostasy

Comment posted by Tony on Feb 18, 20:58:

Comment posted by DR84 on Feb 18, 19:16:

Do you think the Barronelle result could set precedent that could be used to go after religious groups? Denny Burk has said he thinks it does. My understanding is the court has said her conduct was invidious discrimination not protected by the Constitution that the state has a compelling interest to stamp out. Seems ominous to me ... [More]